Before You Leave
- Post Office: Give forwarding address.
- Charge Accounts, Credit Cards.
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks.
- Friends and Relatives.
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city.
- Arrange credit references.
- Notify company of new location for coverages: Life, Health, Fire and Auto.
- Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel, garbage.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Laundry, newspaper, changeover of services.
Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories
- Ask Doctor and Dentist for referrals; transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays. Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
Don’t forget to:
- Empty freezer; plan use of foods.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator. Place charcoal inside to dispel odors.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs or clothing before moving; have them moving-wrapped.
- Remember arrangements for TV and antenna.
- Check with your Moving Counselor; insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special care needs of infants or pets.
On Moving Day
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in your new city.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions, if unhappy.
- Carry travelers checks for quick, available funds.
- Let close friend or relative know route and schedule you will travel including overnight stops; use him or her as message headquarters.
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or owner with Realtor® or neighbor.
And at Your New Address
- Obtain certified check or cashiers check necessary for closing Real Estate Transaction.
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity, water and garbage.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater, and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask Mail Carrier for mail he or she may be holding for your arrival.
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license.
- Visit city offices and register for voting.
- Register car within five days after arrival in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership.
- Apply for state driver’s license.
- Register family in your new place of worship.
- Register children in school.
- Arrange for medical services: Doctor, Dentist, Veterinarian, etc.